Which Social Media Channel is More Relevant for My Business?
If you have very limited financial resources, social media marketing is the perfect solution for your business. A well-designed social media strategy will enhance your ability to read your audience, support brand equity initiative, and more importantly increase visibility and sales. Unlike costly traditional marketing techniques, social media offers a direct line to potential customers at a low-cost. However, if you are unfamiliar and don’t know how to use these online platforms effectively it can be costly.
We highly encourage entrepreneurs to really consider employing a social media consultant to help find answers to the questions you see below:
- Do you you know where your target audience live online? (ex. Pinterest + Tumblr’s popularity among women)
- Do you understand how your target audience communicate online? (ex. hashtags + emoji’s + memes + emoticons)
- How often do they keep the lights ON online? (ex. knowing the best time and day to reach target audience)
- How well are your competitors engaging with their audience online?
- How are you managing bad online reviews online? (ex.yelp)
The key ingredient to identifying the right social media platform for the business is your customers. If you’ve been in business for a long time than it’s safe to assume that you have your customers contact information on deck. If so, I would recommend having your social media manager create a small survey (using surveymonkey) than share the survey link with your patrons via e-mail or sms.
Offer a discount on their next purchase after they’ve successfully completed the survey. Be sure to review each response on the survey to identify careless feedback in the data.
In the other hand, if you’re a startup you most likely have access to a very small sample size of previous customers. In that case, I would recommend you examine the social media activity of competitors with the highest klout score.
FYI: Klout is a website and mobile app that uses social media analytics to rank its users according to online social influence via the “Klout Score“, which is a numerical value between 1 and 100.
Below you’ll find a list of what you should be looking for when evaluating their performance.
- Evaluate what type of # hashtags they’re using to communicate
- Find out who they’re following online
- How often are their followers re-sharing their content online?
- Are they using rich photos and videos to drive traffic to their site?
- Find out if an opinion leader is following them online ( Klout score of 80↑ = Opinion Leader)
- Are they communicating with opinion leaders online?
These are just a few things you should look into in order to identify the right social media platform that fits your overall branding strategy. Remember, the key to succeeding on social media is engagement.
Once you’ve identified the right social media platform for your startup make an effort to engage in a two-way dialogue with your new followers. In other words, help solve problems and don’t be afraid to share your journey. Provide helpful tips to other entrepreneurs new to social media and teach them how you found your niche in a tough economy.
When you give an honest feedback, you’ll notice a slight increase in your klout score, not to mention get attention from influencers. This often leads to more traffic to your website, and an increase to web traffic equals more leads for your business.
Now, knowing what you’ve learned today, what’s holding you back from winning online? Contact us today to find out how we can help get started on socila media!